A roast pepper salad is often found on the Bulgarian table, and you know this is a Bulgarian recipe because of the amount of garlic in it! However, don’t let that put you off as I can assure you that this is one of the best side salads you can have! Simple and usually only including a couple of ingredients, it makes a great side to almost anything. It smells so appetising (freshly cut garlic and herbs) and no matter how full I am, I always have a bit more space to finish this particular salad. Typically it would only include roast peppers, parsley, garlic and a dressing of sunflower oil & vinegar, however, this variation adds a few other ingredients which make it even tastier!
Simple roast pepper & tomato salad
You can make this salad in advance. In fact, the longer you let it sit, the tastier it will be!
Serves: 4 (as a side) | Takes: 10 minutes, no cooking | Vegan | Easy
- 500g jar roast peppers, drained and sliced;
- 3-4 tomatoes, roughly chopped;
- A handful each basil and parsley, chopped;
- 2-3tbsp sunflower oil;
- 2 tbsp caster sugar;
- 4-5 tbsp red wine vinegar;
- 1 tbsp sea salt;
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl all of the ingredients apart from the peppers and tomatoes and mix well.
- Mix the tomatoes and peppers in a medium bowl. Add the dressing and leave for about 15 minutes before serving, though you can let it sit and prepare in advance. The longer you let it sit the more flavour it will pack.
I hope you enjoy making this and trying some more Bulgarian food!