Pomegranate is in season in January and I love using it in salads, sauces, desserts and everywhere I can. This middle eastern meal is light and full of flavour that will remind you of summer even in the dullest winter days. A simple and fresh dinner for two, it takes less than 30 minutes and it’s light on carbs. You can make it a bit more filling by serving on a flatbread to soak up all the tasty lamb and pomegranate juices.
The pomegranate dressing in this recipe will likely be more than you need. You can reserve for a few days in an air-tight container and use to dress salads over the next few days.
Lamb chops with pomegranate and feta cheese
Serves 2 | Takes 30 minutes | Easy | Gluten-free
- 1 pomegranate;
- 1/2 red onion;
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine;
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted;
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin;
- large handful mint leaves (or basil leaves), shredded;
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil;
- 4 lamb chops, at room temperature;
- 50g feta cheese;
- 100g baby salad leaves;
- 2 flatbreads (optional).
- Cut the pomegranate in half and hold one half, cut-side down, over a medium bowl. Using a wooden spoon, hit the outside until seeds start to fall into the bowl. When you’ve gathered all the seeds from on half, repeat with the other. Pick out any bits of pith.
- Add the onion, vinegar and pine nuts. Stir in 1/4 tsp ground cumin, the shredded mint (or basil) and 3 tbsp olive oil. Season and put to one side to allow the flavours to mingle.
- Rub the chops on all sides with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp cumin, season. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and leave somewhere warm to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serving: If you are using flatbreads, warm them slightly and place a flatbread on each plate. Top with the salad leaves. Arrange the chops on top, sprinkling with any resting juices, then roughly crumble the feta on top. Splash with the pomegranate dressing on top and scatter a with a few mint leaves.
Original recipe from Waitrose Food magazine, issue February 2016.