This week is all about quick mid-week dinners which also double as perfect lunches the following day. As it happens, the second recipe this week is also vegetarian and if you don’t add the cheese – can be vegan too. I got the recipe from a Waitrose recipe card and it’s packed with flavour, slightly spicy and counts as one of your five a day. Serve with rice, sour cream, guacamole and pickled jalapenos for a delicious mid-week dinner.
Speedy Pepper & Black Bean Chilli
Serves 4 | Prep 10 minutes | Cook 15 minutes | Easy | Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- 1 tbsp olive oil;
- 200g Mixed Romano peppers, deseeded and sliced;
- 1 red onion, sliced;
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves only, chopped;
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed;
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with basil;
- 2 tsp chipotle paste.
- 50g grated Cheddar;
- Cooked rice or baked potatoes;
- Pickled Jalapenos;
- Soured cream.
1. Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan and cook the peppers, onion and rosemary for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the beans, tomatoes and chipotle paste, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
3. To serve: Spoon the chilli into bowls with cooked rice or baked potatoes. Sprinkle with the cheddar, and top with guacamole, jalapenos and soured cream.
Original recipe from Waitrose.